- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons diced canned jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1b. venison bottom round steak, cut into 1 × ½ × ¼-inch strips
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients, except venison strips, cheese and sour cream. Set aside.
Meanwhile, spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick vegetable cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add venison strips. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Drain.
Add meat to saucepan. Mix well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until flavors are blended and chili is desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Garnish individual servings with cheese and sour cream.